Reporting Incidents

Reporting hate crime and abuse to the police

  • Obviously, in an emergency please dial 999 for urgent assistance
  • If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18000
  • You can also report non-emergency incidents to your local community policing team by dialling 101
  • If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101
  • You can go in person to report incidents at your nearest police station – if you don’t know where that is, you can find a search by postcode facility here
  • Alternatively, you can now report hate crime to the police via an online form
  • If you don’t feel comfortable getting in touch with the police, you can also report incidents anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Please note the following advice to consider if you plan on reporting what you have experienced or witnessed to the police

  • Video is the best form of evidence but don’t post it online as the defence may claim that the fact that you did so jeopardises the defendant’s right to a fair trial
  • But if it’s already online, it probably makes little difference if you share it
  • Audio recording is also helpful
  • If you want to report something that isn’t recorded, write down what happened as an aide memoire; you may not make a statement for several days
  • Err on the side of not posting things online if there’s going to be criminal follow-up as it may differ from your formal statement if you make one, which the defence may use to attempt to undermine your credibility.

Support for people who have experienced or witnessed incidents of abuse

If you have been the victim of or witness to a crime, you may feel that you need support. This could be with the practicalities of any criminal proceedings or to help you to deal with what happened. We have gathered together a list of organisation who may be able to help you or offer you information, along with links to their contact details on their websites.

Both Victim Support organisations also offer help and advice to witnesses of crime.

Many local authorities and housing associations also run witness assistance services

The following community organisations all describe themselves as offering advice, support, or information to people who find themselves the targets of racial harassment or discrimination. The list is not exhaustive, just the ones that we are aware of. If you are an organisation who would like to be added to this list, please get in touch via the contact tab above